Updating 2 prong 3 prong outlets

Rated 4.33/5 based on 610 customer reviews

The last thing I would want from tenants would be a lawsuit because they used the older outlets and were shocked or worse.I would check with the local building inspector to make sure that everything in the house is up to code since you will be renting and liable for any problems with the house that could harm your tenants.I don't understand why anyone thinks a tenant could bring a successful lawsuit against you for anything; a proper lease agreement should CYA.Rewire if you wish, but I wouldn't even consider it on a rental property.install GFCI's, convert 2-prong to 3, and be done with it. Using a GFCI receptacle will protect those downstream through the line/load wiring configuration.He says it will be expensive to ground all the outlets b/c we have to run wires to the attic. Depending on the previous ownership of the house, it could be that you have properly grounded outlets through a portion of the house and old two-wire ungrounded elsewhere.I'm not an electrician either, but I believe that if no other grounding method exists you would be up to minimum code if you install GFI protection (in your situation it may be more cost effective to replace your circuit breakers with GFI breakers rather than install GFI outlets), replace the 2-prong outlets with 3-prong outlets and mark everything as "GFI PROTECTED, NO EQUIPMENT GROUND".That way renters can plug in their microwave, computers, and entertainment stuff without having to worry.^^^ Good Advice...

Some forums can only be seen by registered members.Then any tenants (this is a rent house) will have to use adapters but won't be under the false impression that the outlets are grounded.He says it will be expensive to ground all the outlets b/c we have to run wires to the attic. I'm not an expert here, and I'm sure others will chime in that will know better then I. While you would not want to do this with every receptacle, you can replace a 2 prong, ungrounded receptacle with a GFCI.Maybe talk to your electrician about working as his helper.You can carve a good bit out of his bill if he doesn't have to pay another set of hands and you can learn quite a bit about wiring. The walls are plaster and all in good shape; we're not down to the studs and tenants are moving in next week. I have no problem paying for GFCI outlets and if that will resolve the issue, GREAT!!!!!!

Leave a Reply